August 17, 2008

The Parsis.

I have seen Parsis very closely and almost for a decade. Now, this statement makes me sound like a really old person, but it's true nonetheless. I have studied in a Parsi school for 12 years, and have had the wildest of Bawa friends.

This particular post is dedicated to the gracious community, the one I really admire.

Have you ever been to a Parsi home? You have to, atleast once in your lifetime. You will see so much antique furniture- the quintessential granpa clock, a piano sometimes and beautifully arranged glass almirahs which boast of their Zoraster frames, their eternal flame and old crockery. Yellow light as opposed to a tubelight gives to the ambience a very sophisticated and romantic feel, which I think the Parsi homes are popular for. The dining table usually occupies a prominent section of the hall, and it is elegantly adorned with a laced tablecloth.

Certain Benaifers, Zenobias, Feroozas and Delzeens would probably cook up Dhansak, sali murghi, patra ni machhi and other Parsi delicacies, and host a Sunday lunch. The community is warm, friendly and jovial; dotes on good food, retro music and a quiet lifestyle.

Ofcourse, the term 'Bawas' does complete justice to their eccentricites. But trust me, everybody needs one Bawa friend in their life! Somebody who would sit down with you in an old Irani resturant and his honest and most effective advice would mean "bhuli ja ni, life main aavo-tevu chaltu rahe " over anda-omlette and coffee.

Am grateful to have spent that decade with a distinct Parsi touch. And I still have my eye on Arzan Khambatta's house...one day, I will have enough money to buy it :)

(And and, I wish to also, possess the traditional Iranian sari with an embroidered border and zari-work)

2 comments:

Keetarp Aidonak said...

I LOVE DHANSAK!!!

Ashar said...

Me too!

:)