Wearing Indian wear completely bogs me down by evening. I can wear a kurta over jeans and be fine, but throw in a proper churidar and dupatta over the same kurta and I am a harrowed individual. The whole activity of managing the extra piece of attire and flinging it over the shoulder every 2 minutes fatigues me.
I wear heels sometimes. I have to walk carefully, take small steps..and by evening, I am cravingg for my flats.
It's a matter of shame that being a girl, I still haven't attained a level of comfort and ease with certain clothes meant for my gender. I have seen girls of my age carry themselves so brilliantly be it Indian or Western choice of clothes. I envy those girls..and when I am done with that, I watch them carefully. How they don't fidget with their accessories, how they apply the right make-up..how they do their hair! I try to learn..
But I still suck! I wore a sari recently. I was my enthused best for the first 1 hour, co-operating splendidly with the new stuff. And then came such a low mood swing..I realised I couldn't climb stairs easily. I had to lift the sari slightly higher to be able to see my feet while climbing up...I was wearing 3inches of heels to add to that...I felt like an ostrich every time I walked.
And not to mention the jewellery and make-up. The bangles, the neckpiece, the ear-rings..everything added weight to my body and it seemed like there were just too many problems happening at one time.
Usually in such social gatherings, it's not just the external appearance...you have also got to talk well, eat right and basically be your girlie best..which I so cannot pull off. And all around me I spot women, superbly comfortable in their traditional wear, too oblivious to 'problems' like mine and actually enjoying themselves.
And I too want to be like one of them
I realise now that there is no way out of this. I have to brave the hype around the Sari..have to understand make-up and learn to carry myself confidently in what I choose to wear.
One good point about these disaster grooming attempts is that I manage to build up on my own style in the process...I could change the way a dupatta is draped or choose to roll up the sleeves of my kurta, like a shirt. I like such twists..but just when to be different and when to conform is a thin line, and I'm learning to balance that..
October 17, 2009
Mis Perfect
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
and a pic with this post could be more justifying, don't yu think ?!
Post a Comment